My Little Kitchen: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

September 6, 2008

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

Chocolate cake. What else can I say?


Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes

Cake:
•1 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
•3/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
•1 Cup packed brown sugar
•1 Cup granulated sugar
•1 Tsp. kosher salt
•1½ Tsp. baking powder
•1½ Tsp. baking soda
•2 large eggs
•1 Cup milk
•2 Tsp. vanilla extract
•¼ vegetable oil
•1 mashed banana (make sure it's really mashed, not chunky)
•1 Cup boiling water

Frosting:
•1/4 Cup softened margarine
•1/4 Cup milk
•1 Tsp. vanilla extract
•3-3½ Cups powdered sugar

For the cake, combine all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl. Add in the eggs, milk, vanilla, oil, and banana, andmix until smooth (about 3-4 minutes). Stir in boiling water by hand, and pour batter into two prepared pans. I like to butter my pans and line the bottoms with parchment, then flour the pans. Bake the cakes at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks. Cool completely before frosting.

While the cakes are baking prepare the frosting. Start by mixing the margarine, cocoa powder, and milk. Mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated, but it doesn't need to be totally smooth. Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time (make sure to scrape the sides of your bowl in between), until everything is combined. Finish by whipping up the frosting for at least 5 minutes. Frost onto cooled chocolate cake.

☼You may notice that the cake in the picture is only 1 layer...well I moved and seem to have misplaced my cake sheet pan and my other round pan, so I had to use one square and one round...but I promise it will make 2 layers.

No comments: